TORONTO COMIC ARTS FESTIVAL CONTEST
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
1. Agreement: These rules govern the Toronto Comic Arts Festival Contest (the “Contest”). No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest. The act of entering the Contest constitutes acceptance of these Contest rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which decisions shall be final and binding upon all entrants.
2. Sponsor: The Contest sponsor is Wonderlist, a property of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. (the “Sponsor”). The prize provider is the Toronto Comic Arts Festival (the “Prize Provider”).
3. Eligibility: The Contest is open to residents of Ontario who have attained the age of eighteen (18) as at the start of the Contest Period. Notwithstanding the above, the Contest is not open to employees, immediate family members (i.e. spouses or biological, step or adoptive parents, children or siblings) or anyone domiciled with any employee of the Sponsor or prize supplier or any of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies or fulfillment houses. Incomplete or illegible entries, bulk drop offs, photocopies, scanned copies, facsimiles or other mechanically or electronically reproduced entries will not be accepted and will be disqualified. Limit of one (1) entry per person, plus bonus entries.
4. Contest: The Contest begins at 9:00 am ET on March 24, 2023 and ends at 9:00 am ET on April 24, 2023 (such period, the “Contest Period”). There are two ways to enter the Contest and be eligible to win a prize:
(a) Online: during the Contest Period, access the Contest website at www.wonderlist.ca, read these Contest rules, and follow the instructions to enter, complete and submit a Contest entry form (a valid email address will be required). Each entrant may use only one email address to enter the contest. To enter online, you must be a current subscriber or agree at the time of entry to subscribe to email alerts for the Sponsor website www.wonderlist.ca;
(b) Email: during the Contest Period, email email@example.com with the subject line “Toronto Comic Arts Festival Contest”, your full name, email address, telephone number and an original 200 word essay about what type of contest you would like to see in Wonderlist. Please note that each e-mail entry must be accompanied by a unique original essay.
(c) Bonus Entries. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person per day that can be obtained by submitting the online Contest entry form or an e-mail essay as outlined in (a) and (b) above. However, during the Contest Period, each entrant may obtain additional entries into the draw (up to a maximum total of five (5) additional entries for the Contest Period) by either:
i. sharing the personal referral link that will be provided to the entrant following the entrant’s submission of the online entry form. The entrant will automatically be granted one (1) additional entry into the draw for each such referral for each person with whom you share the Contest who also submits a valid Contest entry. Each entrant may only enter using one email address. Entrants must use the personal referral link provided to refer friends or family; no additional entries will be provided for entrants referring people with whom they have no personal or family relationship, and entrants providing any such referrals will be disqualified from the Contest – see Section 10 below for details;
ii. emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Toronto Comic Arts Festival Contest – Bonus Entry”, your full name, email address, telephone number and an original 25 word essay about what type of contest one of your good friends might like to see in Wonderlist. Please note that each e-mail bonus entry must be accompanied by a unique original essay. Please do not include any personal information about your friends (e.g. your friends’ names or e-mail addresses) as part of your submission.
5. Winner Section: The potential winners will be chosen by random draw from among all eligible entries received, which will take place at the Sponsor’s offices located at 8 Spadina Avenue, Toronto on April 25, 2023. The potential winners will be contacted by telephone or email by a representative of the Sponsor, and must reply within 24 hours to maintain eligibility. If any potential winners cannot be contacted within this time period or fail to respond to any attempted contact or incorrectly answer the skill-testing question, such potential winner will be disqualified, his/her entry will be declared null and void and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to select at random another eligible entry, in which event these provisions shall apply to such other eligible entry. In order to be eligible to win, each potential winner must correctly answer a time limited mathematical skill-testing question, without assistance or mechanical or electronic aid.
6. Prizing: There is one (1) prize available to be won, consisting of a Toronto Comic Arts Festival Bundle containing the following items:
Who Owns the Clouds? by Mario Brassard (book) from Penguin Random House Canada.
Pluto Rocket #1 by Paul Gilligan (book) from Penguin Random House Canada
A Super Scary Narwhalloween tote from Penguin Random House Canada
Clover (Skateboarding Rabbit) Patch from Silver Sprocket
Cool Boy Patch from Silver Sprocket
Nap All Day, Sleep All Night, Party Never Sloth Pin from Silver Sprocket
Praying Mantis Feminism Pin from Silver Sprocket
Jenn Woodall Sticker Sheet from Silver Sprocket
Rock Collector Sticker Sheet from Silver Sprocket
Gnartoons Sticker Sheet from Silver Sprocket
A TCAF Festival Tote
A TCAF Festival Poster
Approximate retail value of the prize is one hundred and fifty dollars ($141.00) CDN.
7. Prize Claim: The prize will be fulfilled by the Prize Supplier, either via mail or courier to the postal address provided by the winner or by arranging pickup of the prize with the winner. If a potential winner fails to provide a valid postal address to the Sponsor within 24 hours of notification that he/she has been selected as a potential winner, such potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to select another potential winner using the method described above. Sponsor and Prize Supplier shall not be responsible for liable for unclaimed, lost, damaged, or stolen prizes or for postal or courier delays, strikes or errors.
8. Release: Prior to receiving the prize, each potential winner will be required to show valid photo ID and to sign a declaration of eligibility and release form releasing the Sponsor, its related parties and any prize supplier from any and all liability in connection with the Contest and/or the prize, confirming compliance with the Contest rules and consenting to the use of his or her name and photograph, in any and all forms of media, without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by the Sponsor, and its respective advertising and promotional agencies. The signed form must be received by the Sponsor within 24 hours of notification or the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate entrant. Each winner and any guests may be required to sign additional releases upon admittance to the venue or request by Sponsor or a prize supplier.
9. Indemnity: By participating in this Contest, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor and any prize supplier and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and licensees and each of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buyers and promotional agencies (the “Released Parties”) from any and all damages, injuries, claims, suits, actions, causes of action, costs, expenses, liabilities or losses of any kind (including but not limited to lawyers’ fees) arising out of or relating to your participation in the Contest; your receipt or use of any prize; your violation of any term of these Contest rules or your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right.
10. Sharing/Refer-a-Friend: Entrants must refer only friends or family members through any “share” buttons or functions provided; entrants referring people with whom they have no personal or family relationship will be disqualified from the Contest. For the purposes of the above: (a) “family members” or “family relationship” means the relationship between an individual who sends a message and the individual to whom the message is sent if those individuals are related to one another through a marriage, common-law partnership or any legal parent-child relationship and those individuals have had direct, voluntary, two-way communication; and (b) “friends” or “personal relationship” means the relationship between an individual who sends a message and the individual to whom the message is sent, if those individuals have had direct, voluntary, two-way communications and it would be reasonable to conclude that they have a personal relationship, taking into consideration any relevant factors such as the sharing of interests, experiences, opinions and information evidenced in the communications, the frequency of communication, the length of time since the parties communicated or whether the parties have met in person.
12. Social Media Disclaimer and Release: This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Inc. or Twitter, Inc. (together, the “Social Media Platforms”) You understand that you are providing your information to Sponsor and not to the Social Media Platforms. Any questions, comments or complaints must be directed to the Sponsor, and not to the Social Media Platforms. By participating in the Contest, each entrant releases and agrees to indemnify the Social Media Platforms and hold them harmless from and against any and all costs, claims, damages, (including, without limitation, any special, incidental or consequential damages), or any other injury, whether due to negligence or otherwise, to person(s) or property (including, without limitation, death or violation of any personal rights, such as violation of right of publicity/privacy, libel, or slander), due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Contest, or arising out of participation in any Contest-related or prize-related activity, or the receipt, enjoyment, participation in, use or misuse, of any Contest or prize-related activity, whether hosted by Sponsor or a third party.
13. Banning: The Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, prohibit any person from entering the Contest whom it believes to be abusing the rules. Such abuse includes entering false information and entering more times than permitted under these Contest rules.
14. Other: Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. One (1) prize per person. This Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein and is void where prohibited by law. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest or the Contest rules at any time without notice. All prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable and are not convertible to cash. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize or any portion of a prize with a prize of equal or greater value. All prizes are awarded as-is and no warranties or guarantees are implied or expressed. Neither Sponsor nor any prize supplier shall be liable for any lost, late, misdirected or stolen entries or inability to process entries, or any errors, damage or negligence that may arise in connection with this Contest, including technical issues or failures on any website or software, viruses, website disruptions, malfunctions or website down-time, human error, personal injury or property damage incurred by any Contest entrant. Sponsor is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest. Use of any automated system including robotic or form filling software to enter or participate in this Contest is prohibited and will result in disqualification of all entries by anyone using such assistance. If a dispute arises regarding who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address provided at time of entry. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.